The RAS Process
The RAS involves:
- A call for applications to the scheme
- The submission of an application to the scheme by a Chief Investigator
- The evaluation of the applications by the RAS Committee
- The offer of resource grants on the VLSCI systems under terms and conditions
- The acceptance of the grants and the terms and conditions of access by Chief Investigators and the host organisation. Current and past grant recipients.
Once a grant is approved for a research project, members must apply for logon accounts to access the Peak Computing Facility (PCF).
The RAS Committee evaluates applications according to the following criteria (which follow those for awarding allocations on the NCI National Facility).
1. Research quality
- Research merit including the potential of the work to generate new knowledge in an important area, the comparative scientific merit of the work within its discipline, originality and international competitiveness.
- National benefit and research priorities.
- Experience and demonstrated research capacity of the applicant and the project team.
2. Appropriateness of the VLSCI computational resources
- The need for such resources to conduct the research.
- Suitability of the system (hardware and software) and its operational environment to support the project.
- Evidence or experience to demonstrate that the project will use the facilities efficiently.
3. Reasonableness of the level of resources requested
- Relative to the total amount available.
- Needed to make adequate progress in the proposed research program.
4. Track record of the applicant in using the VLSCI facilities where relevant
- In the case of proposals to continue a project, the record of achievement and efficient use of previous allocations.
These criteria will be interpreted appropriately for researchers primarily requiring access to the data management capabilities of the PCF.
National and international referees may be contacted by the committee. Applicants may nominate referees but the choice of referees is at the discretion of the committee. Applicants may also nominate persons that should not be contacted.
A representative of the PCF will attend committee meetings to advise the committee on the availability of resources and related technical matters.